The patrimony tour
To have the map of the tour of the town, click here.
The Zen Fountain or overwhelming bowl
In 1990 is exhibited an overwhelming bowl fountain named by its artist Bernard Gitton, ingineer and artist of les Rosiers: the “Zen fountain”. The sphere made of reconstituted stone, is opened on its superior part and is hollow. It is fluted outside and is placed on a walk of bearings with eight directions, totally submerged and composed of pebbles. The filling up in two minutes thanks to four jets is done dissymmetric by a ballcock. The center of gravity of the sphere moves away from its axle so that its balance is unstable. The sphere fits into eight possible trajectories, due to an internal mechanism, then it comes back slowly to its initial position.
This fontain is inspired by the japenese zen gardens. The artistic work invites you to meditation between the waiting time and the event.
The Virgin of the pulic school
Rare fact: On the front of the nursery school, you can see a statue of Virgin Mary and the child Jesus.
The explanation is to be find in the history of the town. In 1885, the local council of les Rosiers, decided to entrust the education of girls of the school to a religious congregation. Several years later, the local people, becoming too small, it decided to build a new school, with an oratory for the nuns, and with a Virgin statue, on the front.
In 1888, on enforcement of the Jules Ferry Laws on secularity, the nuns will leave the school which became public, but the statue will stay.
Jeanne de Laval, the Valley benefactress
Jeanne de Laval, second wife of King René, has indisputably marked the minds of inhabitants of the valley. In fact, on the 2nd of may 1471, she gave to inhabitants of the Beaufort County, in which the parish of “Rouziers” is part of, the privilege of coming to graze their herds since the cutting of the first grass reserved for the king. These large meadows, collectively owned by the inhabitants, will be called later “the communs”.
In 1832, these”communs” will be shared between 14 towns of the ancient County. The sale of lands or of their farm rents, will greatly put up the money for the big works of the valley: so that in Les Rosiers, the bridges, the embankments, the roads to Beaufort and to Longué, the paving of the paths, the schools will be build.
That’s why, the local council decided in august 1873, to erect a statue of Jeanne de Laval in her honour.
1940- The battles on the Loire
In may and june 1940, the german army invaded France. The 19th of june, several thousands of soldiers powerfully armed, arrived in les Rosiers and occupied the right bank with the intention of quickly crossing the river to make a rush on Bordeaux and the south-west of France.
In front of them, in the island of Gennes and on the left bank, 325 french soldiers (the pupils of The School of Cavalry of Saumur - called Cadets – and their instructors) are decided to rebel against it: first of all, they exploded the bridge of les Rosiers and then the one of Gennes. Violent battles will last two days before the germans would finally cross ond occupy the other bank of the river. Fifteen cadets were killed. Their corpses were buried in a memorial, at the foot of the church Saint Eusèbe in Gennes.
Les Rosiers town council
In 1830, the local council of les Rosiers decided to buy a house at the riverside, to make it the townhall. It will be quickly too small and not confortable. In 1875, it is decided to built at the same place, a beautiful and bigtown council. The architect François Meignant was the project manager and the rosiéroise Lélard-Taugourdeau enterprise built it in three years. The town paid 83 000 Fr at this time, for it; an amount of money paid by farm rents and by a loan of 50 000 Fr.
The war memorial, created in 1922 by M Warnier, a contractor in Angers, was previously set in the Mall. It has been transferred in 1986, in the garden of the town council to facilitate the improvements of the Mall.
The houses of the center town
Until the 20th century, the tufa, the tufa stone of the area, extract from the quarries on the slopes of the left bank, and the slates coming from the quarries of Angers-Trélazé, are used to build traditional houses. These materials give a certain unity of colours so characteristic of the towns and villages of the Loire Valley. Houses typical of the landscape in the 15th century, modified in the 19th century, were built with rubble and tuffa stones. They were built with two buildings set in square. A straight and outside stair gave access to the first floor.
The family mansion appeared in the 19th century. It had a first floor and could be distinguished by its classical aspect, reinforced by the perfect symmetry of its windows.